10.0826 online symposium; e-publishing workshop, E-Editors

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 21:54:11 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Cathy Downey {Art Papers} <cdowney@noel.pd.org> (35)
From: David Green <david@cni.org>
Subject: A Brave New World-Online Symposium (fwd)

[2] From: orlandi@rmcisadu.let.uniroma1.it (15)
Subject: workshop on electronic publishing

[3] From: ElectricEds@bigfoot.com (42)
Subject: Announcing the Electric Editors

--[1]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 16:46:13 -0500 (EST)
From: Cathy Downey {Art Papers} <cdowney@noel.pd.org>
From: David Green <david@cni.org>

NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
April 1, 1997

Below is the announcement of a particularly timely and interesting online
symposium addressing two, I believe related, situations: the place of the
arts and arts institutions at a time of reduced funding-as-we-know-it; and
the new opportunities for access and the potential for new economic models
provided by new technologies.

David Green

We Invite You to Join "A Brave New World? Access to Arts at the End of
the Millennium."

A Brave New World? Access to Arts at the End of the Millennium is an
on-line symposium that will discuss the state of the arts and arts
institutions in the era of reduced funding (on the one hand) and new
media that may provide increased access to the arts (on the other).

The first stage of the forum will take place on the "Brave New World?"
listserv, the proceedings of which will be published in the July/August
1997 issue of Art Papers and in the "Brave New World" interactive
conference on the Art Papers World Wide Web site (where ongoing
dialogue on access to the arts will continue, potentially into the next
millennium).

Topics for discussion include the current survival status
and strategies of arts organizations and individual artists; on-line
resources as means of surmounting new and persistent problems in the
arts; and access to the arts in a situation characterized by new media
but also by limited public access to the arts, due to reduced schedules
and permanent closings among arts organizations.

The moderator will be Cathy Downey, Managing Editor of Art Papers,
and the organizer of the panel is Glenn Harper, editor of Sculpture
magazine. "Brave New World?" will be online by April 1, 1997, and
the cutoff date for postings to be published in the July/August issue of
Art Papers will be May 30.

The goals of the project are to increase the
dialogue on contemporary art among artists and arts professionals and
to provide a venue for serious discussion of the opportunities and
difficulties in reaching new audiences for the arts.

To subscribe, send an empty email message to the
<bravenewworld-request@pd.org>,with <subscribe> in the subject line.
To unsubscribe, send a one-line message
containing the word <unsubscribe> to <bravenewworld-request@pd.org>.

Once you've subscribed, all messages to the list should be addressed to the
<bravenewworld@pd.org> address. Do not send subscribe or unsubscribe messages
to this address. All such administrative messages should go to the
<bravenewworld-request@pd.org> address only.

Thank you for your participation!