11.0116 microfilm scanning

Wed, 18 Jun 1997 21:44:20 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Glenn Everett <aaff@utm.EdU> (14)
Subject: microfilm scanning

[2] From: Haradda@aol.com (2)
Subject: Re: 11.0112 microfilm scanning?

[3] From: Hans Joergen Marker <hm@dda.sa.dk> (71)

Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 16:03:56 -0500
From: Glenn Everett <aaff@utm.EdU>

Gerard Goggin asked:
>I would be grateful if anyone could advise whether it is possible to scan a
>text directly from microfilm, rather than copying the microfilm onto paper
>and scanning from this.
>
>A colleague wishes to scan and edit a late 18th-century text. He has a
>microfilm of the original and would like to use scanning and OCR with
>optimum results.

You'll need a good scanner and good OCR software, and a transparency adapter
for your scanner; in the US, these adapters may run between $350 and $850.

Glenn Everett
Faculty Multimedia Center
University of Tennessee at Martin
aaff@utm.edu

Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 23:32:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: Haradda@aol.com
Subject: Re: 11.0112 microfilm scanning? refs to philosophical suidide?

The answer is yes it is possible to scan from microfilm (roll or fiche) I do
it on a regular basis. The only thing you need to make sure is that the type
face can be recognized by your software.

Date: Wed, 18 Jun 97 08:43:00 +1
From: Hans Joergen Marker <hm@dda.sa.dk>

Microfilm scanning.

Microfilm scanning is most certainly possible provided naturally that you
have the right equipment. I know of a couple of places where it is done
on a major scale: The Netherlands Historical Data Archive (contact René
van Horik) and the Danish State Archives Photographic Unit (contact
Jesper Dal: jd@lav.sa.dk) The equipment you need costs in the order of
100.000 $ but in both of the mentioned places I believe that they would
be willing to do the scanning for you if you pay them a resonnable
compensation.

Hans Joergen Marker
Danish Data Archives
hm@dda.sa.dk