14.0328 sci-fi and science

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/09/00

       [1]   From:    Randall Pierce <rpierce@jsucc.jsu.edu>              (16)
             Subject: quotation

       [2]   From:    Arun-Kumar Tripathi <tripathi@statistik.uni-        (30)
                     dortmund.de>
             Subject: Re: 14.0314 modern-day prophets

             Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 07:27:38 +0100
             From: Randall Pierce <rpierce@jsucc.jsu.edu>

    Re: the comments of Arun Kuman Tripathi. Indeed, many science fiction
    writers do capitalize on the works of other writers in the genre. Many
    science fiction writers are also respected and acknowledged scientists.
    Mr. Heinlein was a hydraulic engineer. Mr. Clarke has been a member of
    the British interplanetary association for years. "Prophets" and "seers"
    are often looked upon with suspicion or are disparaged. To call a
    fiction work of a scientist  "space opera" would seem to many a
    disparaging  comment. When Dr. Clarke first wrote about communication
    sattelites in 1946, he did so in a fiction format. Science fiction is
    often used to broach ideas that would be ridiculed if they were place in
    professional journals. "Not yet" does not mean "never". A projective
    analysis of trends is always a tool of any scientific endeavor.
    Information technology is no different. I might suggest that for pure
    amusement, some of the correspondents might read A.E. Van Vogt's Voyage
    of the Space Beagle. Randall