16.570 the lone scholar

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 01:51:29 EST

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 06:27:31 +0000
             From: "C. M. Sperberg-McQueen" <cmsmcq@acm.org>
             Subject: Re: 16.556 the lone scholar in the sciences

    At 2003-03-16 01:40, Willard wrote:

    >Albert Einstein, from an address at a celebration of Max Planck's 60th
    >birthday (1918), delivered before the Physical Society in Berlin; published
    >in Mein Weltbild (Amsterdam: Querido Verlag, 1934); the following is from
    >Albert Einstein, Ideas and Opinions, transl. Sonja Bargmann (New York:
    >Three Rivers Press, 1954): 224-5. ...

    Call me slow, but I don't see anything in Einstein's remarks that
    corresponds to the subject line. He talks about people without much
    in the way of social graces, "odd, uncommunicative, solitary fellows",
    but Planck was in no way a "lone scholar" as I would understand that
    term. He held, on the contrary, a chair in Berlin and served as
    secretary of the Mathematics and Natural Sciences Section of the Prussian
    Academy of Sciences and as president of the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gesellshaft.

    Einstein's tribute to Planck does seem to be a good example of the
    pure-science form of part of what we today sometimes recognize as Geek
    Mythology.

    -C. M. Sperberg-McQueen