12.0527 blurring of lines, academic purity &c.

Wed, 31 Mar 1999 18:41:42 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> (22)
Subject: Scholarship engagee

[2] From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> (30)
Subject: blurring, etc.

[3] From: Jan Christoph Meister <jan-c-meister@rrz.uni- (79)
hamburg.de>
Subject: 12.0521 - Purity

[4] From: Patricia Galloway <galloway@mdah.state.ms.us> (16)
Subject: Re: 12.0521 purity of academia stained?

[5] From: Jim Marchand <marchand@UX1.CSO.UIUC.EDU> (18)
Subject: Humanities and Sciences

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 18:26:28 +0100
From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>

You are right, Willard, that the borders have gotten blurred, or at least
more so, in recent years. We have had for a long time the spectre (I don't
mean `ghost'; it is still, horresco referens, among us) of _litterature
engagee_, where literature is perverted to political and social interests.
The same thing happens, of course, in scholarship, particularly in the
humanities, where _Erklaeren_, according to whatever (value)-system one
subscribes to is used to explain, e.g. a work of medieval literature,
replaces _Verstehen_, the attempt to understand the author and situate him
in his time or place. This leads, of course, to motive mongering and the
attribution to authors of otherwhere and otherwhen motives they certainly
never had, through a kind of chauvinism of the here and now. The alterity
of medieval man (there, I said it) is certainly there, but that does not
give us the right or even a reason to fail to try to understand him. Other
peoples, races, cultures, times, places may `think differently' than we do,
even chop up the world differently (Whorf). We should avoid pouring them
into our own procrustean mode of thought. But now I have lost the thread,
haven't I? Aegritudo senectutis garrulitas. It is too bad that things blur,
but if we allow other fields to impinge upon our own, what happens to our
own (Sartre, Staiger)? There is nothing wrong with using psychoanalysis in
literary criticism, for example; we just have to keep in mind that it is
literary criticism and not psychoanalysis. Freud on Dostoievsky, for
example, is not literary criticism.
Jim Marchand.